Sunday, February 26, 2012

What is Appalachia???



When one normally thinks of Appalachia Ohio, things such as the mountainous terrain that has be inhabited by few people. When asked specifically about the people that are native to these areas there are many opinions that have been under the impression of popular media, which has made many of their view points of these people are negative.To prepare this blog I asked some OU students to share what they thought being Appalachian and living in this region meant to them.

Lauren Holland
Q: How do  you define Appalachia Ohio?
     A: I don't even know where to begin. I really know nothing, all know is they are the people in the mountain .  . .I call them mountain people. 
Q. If I told you that  most predators in films such as the Hills Have Eyes are based off the people of Appalachia, how would that alter your answer? 
      A: Now I consider them inferior to me, much like they are slower thinking than I am.
Q: Okay, Cincinnati is considered apart of this region, how does this make you feel?
     A: It is too close to home, I can't say I'm apart of this population of people but I guess I feel connected because Dayton is sooo close. 

Tyla Young
Q: What is Appalachia Ohio?
    A: Appalachia Ohio is mostly the mountain and hilly area of Ohio.
Q: How would you describe the people?
     A: Mountain People, these are the people that have made homes in areas such as Athens, Ohio.
Q: How would your answer change if I told you that most killers in scary movies were based off the people that lived in these areas?
     A: Initially, I would be afraid of them, but to keep my opinion on all people neutral I would approach them with caution.
Q:Now, based off the previous answer, how does it make you feel knowing that Cincinnati Ohio is apart of this region?
     A: Dayton is so close to Cincinnati. Knowing this makes me feel so connected to land, I say this because I consider Dayton, Columbus, and Cincinnati cities.

Markita Briggs

Q: Who are Appalachian People?
      A: Those would be the people that inhabit the mountainous terrain of Ohio.
Q: How would that answer alter if I told you that many of horror films that are made today are set in this area?
      A: I feel nothing. I know that movies are fictional and many times the depictions that are portrayed in films really don't give a true reflection of anyone. 
Q: Did you know Cincinnati is considered Appalachian Ohio?
     A: No, I didn't know that. I see now that the different landscapes in Ohio have a large impact on who we are and the cultures that we have adapted.

After talking with the participants and reading information provided by the state of Ohio,  I formed my own opinion. At first, my definition of Appalachia and the people that live in this area was very biased. I believed that the people that lived in this area weren't knowledgeable and were living the way they did when they first settled the area. Now I see that the work force that once fed a fueled the country employed mostly Appalachian people. Their settlements were long established sprouting from the struggling tribes in Europe. Many of my opinions we solely based off of pop culture and the people of Appalachia deserve more respect than what is given to the.

When looking at the relationship between the students of OU and the people that are native to this town, we need to find a common ground of respect between the two. I think it takes more than just respect, but as a campus and as a nation we need to be aware of the different type of people that live in the United States. Students should have a sense of being open when approached to a different way of living. Most of the disconnect between the two is found when comparing the way each lives. When some feel they cannot connect they tend to ridicule those that are different; this is seen on campus all the time. Those that are native to the area should also give students a chance to learn and educate themselves about who they are and how living in Appalachia Ohio, has influenced their way of life.


1 comment:

  1. I would like to correct a SIGNIFICANT flaw in in these statements, there are NO mountains in the State of Ohio, lots of hills yes. But no mountains.

    ReplyDelete