Monday, February 27, 2012

Living in the Appalachian Mountains




Appalachia

Appalachia is defined as the vast mountainous regions that go through our country and the people that inhabit its beauty. Some people may say that Appalachians are society all of its own, with good credit and bad. Folks from the Appalachia tend to not even realize that they are because the name is given to them from outsiders, people that analyzed their land and stuck a name to it to give them the uniqueness that they have. I asked my friend Shelby what she thought of this concept and she said,

"I don't know... I've never really thought of it till you asked. Growing up in West Virginia I must be one, but I've never really cared enough to pin it down to a name ha."

A healthy streamCultures in Appalachia are money poor but make up for it with their skills and tributes they acquired from the land they live on. Everything is derived from the resourceful region they belong to, including, small industries like quilting, pottery, and canning gives them something to be proud of. They don't have to rely on anything but themselves and the land around them to live and thrive and be happy. The land is rich and stretches from the tip of Miami into Alabama and Georgia. Known as one of the most diverse regions we have, it is also the oldest mountain stretch on the planet. Yes, Cincinnati--where I am from--is considered part of Appalachia, but I never once considered myself part of that lifestyle. I enjoy the flat surface and plains that i live around. OU could help by associating themselves more with the land that we walk and keep around the old small businesses in which we enjoy going to each and every day. I then asked some other friends what they thought of the idea of living in Appalachia.

Do you live in Appalachia? Do you consider yourself Appalachian?

Gabi--
"Noooooooo not at all, I was born and raised in the state of Washington, that's really far from the Appalachian mountains...right?"

Tori--
"What's that...."

A few minutes later of explaining

"Oh! No i grew up in Toledo. I don't think that's inclusive to the Appalachian mountains. I mean, I never once stopped to say that I live in a very mountain-e area."


By: Michael Sanders



No comments:

Post a Comment