Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Home Sweet Home in the Appalachians

04-24-appalachia.jpg
Appalachia is a relatively unknown area around the United States. It is located in Eastern United States and runs through many states. Many people may not even know that they are part of it. I in fact just found out that Ohio University is located in it. To me, I think that makes Ohio University very unique because this is one of the most unique cultures in the United States and it is relatively unknown. This got me thinking, how much do my fellow classmates know about Ohio University and the Appalachian community? I decided to do some detective work and find out.


1. What do you know about the Appalachian community?
Billy- I know that we live in it but that is about it.
Emily-Ohio University is located in it and I also know that it runs through many states in the United States.
250px-OU_Gamertsfelter_Hall.JPG.jpg
2. Do you think Ohio University should become more involved in its surrounding community?
Billy- No because I feel like with all the poverty that it has, OU would just be wasting its time and money.
Emily- Yes because I think that Ohio University should do everything that it can to help the surrounding area. It is in poverty, and it can use any help that we can give.

3. Do you consider yourself part of the Appalachian community?
Billy- No because I am not from here. I feel like in order to be part of a community, you have to be born there.
Emily- Not really. Ohio University is very separated from what surrounds us. We never really have been exposed to the true Appalachian community even though we live right in it.

4. Are there any advantages to living in the Appalachians?
Billy- I don't think so. It is very far away from most places and there is no direct way to get here.
Emily- Yes. I think it helps keep this university safer. Unlike a lot of universities, we don't have to worry about some of the crime that comes with living in a city.

As you can see, there are mixed views about living in the Appalachians. It is an area that is not well known. It has a huge impact on how Ohio University and will continue to for many years to come.



2 comments:

  1. I would like to comment on Billy's statement about the poverty and community. The poverty is in significant relation to a lack of educational access in our area. Within this until last year I had no idea our university had an Appalachian Scholars Program. I would also like to state I do consider myself apart of the Athens community, despite the fact I was born raised in Cambridge, Ohio. I am a full time student at Ohio University but also now a full time resident (I live on my own). To be a member of a community you can still be a transplant. You just have to be willing to join it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colin—

    Thank you for your article. I enjoyed reading the diverse views of students here. As an Appalachian woman, it hurts me to think other students do not see the sense in the University being connected to the community. We are on land in Athens, employ people who live in Athens, and our students enjoy the surroundings. It only makes sense that we engage the community that lifts us up, by lifting it up in turn.

    The advantages to living in Appalachia are numerous. I grew up way out, on top of a hill in a forest in the poorest part of Appalachia Ohio and one of the poorest areas in the US. My family was close-knit and very supportive, and that has translated into my success here. My work ethic, sense of community…basically everything that has allowed me to thrive…came from my upbringing. Our area has flaws—what region doesn’t—but to the gentleman who sees not advantages to living here, I challenge his anti-Appalachian stigma as nothing but a modern sort of cultural racism, and would offer to show him around the county, or to answer any of his questions about the region (shea.e.daniels@gmail.com). The Appalachian Student Union would be glad to do this as well (APSU@ohio.edu). The same goes for you.

    Thank you again for your work.

    Peace,

    Shea

    ReplyDelete