Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hittner Family Literacy


One of the most important community literacies  you will ever experience is your family.  Family is something that we learn a lot from and helps us shape who we become.  Every family community literacy is different and dynamic in how it operates and functions.  Some range from small to large.  This is my family minus my mom and dad and it has become the community literacy I am most literate in and understand the best.

My family community starts with my dad and mom, Mark and Sally.  They are the ones that have created and established the core values, cultures, customs and methods used in my family.  They have always had a very lenient and self discovering approach to learning this community.  They did not believe in hard discipline or creating fear it was more about do what is best because it is the right thing to do for yourself.  Both my mom and dad established high levels of responsibility with each member of the family when it came to our actions, friends, and school and to others it can seem like they really don't parent or aren't hard on us but really they set these morals so early in me especially I knew when I was doing something wrong and didn't need the parenting.

The next part of my family literacy that is probably the hardest to learn from and understand are my older sisters.  Talk about something I still have not completely mastered and still trying to become literate with them.  Jamie is 28 and Katie is 25 so they are significantly older than me which makes it hard.  When I was younger I was the annoying younger brother and I really didn't understand why they would always get so mad at me. Another thing that added a lot to our family literacy is the fact both my sisters are married to their high school sweet hearts so these guys have been around my life for a long time.  Their names are Phil and Anthony and they are just as important to the family as anyone.  They have taught me how to understand my sisters and give me some outsider knowledge into their own family and how I can use this knowledge in my family.  But through the years I have learned mostly through their yelling at me and giving me advice on school and girlfriends about how to operate in our family community literacy with ease making sure we please our parents and ourselves.  

Probably the important part of my family literacy that teaches me the most and I learn the most from is my brother Ben.  He is 17 years old and going to be a freshman at Ohio State.  Ben is 19 months younger than me and we have been inseperable since he was born.  Trust me it has not always been all love Ben and I would get in huge fights but that is because I still had to learn what would set him off or annoy him.  We have   always been associated with each other, "Nick and Ben" or the Hittner Boys, and that is part of the outsider perception of the Hittner Family.  We are always seen as these really athletic guys who do not seem that close because we don't look alike or act alike.  That could not be further from the truth.  Ben and I are best freinds we tell each other everything and always give each other advice on the family dynamic in our literacy. My relationship with my brother made me a better person by making me more understanding, level headed, and caring.  It has effected me and the person who I have become more than any other relationship.  




No comments:

Post a Comment