Thursday, May 24, 2012

Appalachian University


     Growing up in a town just west of Columbus, I have become accustom to vast amounts of flat farm land.  As I make my way down to Ohio University which is situated in the heart of Appalachia all that I know changes.  You see beautiful rolling hills, and can easily become lost in the scenic views.  Everywhere you look you’ll find something that catches your eyes and makes you want to stop and take in the views.  I myself have never considered being a part of the Appalachian culture I see myself as more of a visitor in their world.  I decided to ask a few questions to some of my friends and see what their responses are maybe they have different views of what Appalachia means to them here is what they thought.

Do you consider yourself Appalachian being a student in the heart of Appalachia?
1)      “No, since I’m not originally from the area and I do not spend enough time outside of the university.”
2)      “Absolutely not in no way I’m from the city.”
3)      “Not really I do a lot of things around Athens but not enough to be considered part of the culture.”
In what ways does Appalachian culture influence you here at Ohio University?
1)      “A lot you see it all over campus from the food to some of the local stores that you can’t find anywhere else.”
2)      “Quite a bit just take a drive around Athens; you see townies and their huge farmers market on the weekends.”
3)      “Not so much I really just stick to my routine and try to live the same way I do at home I like to keep the same habits.”
How do you interpret “Appalachia” and why?
   1)      “A lot of really tiny very close nit communities that really don’t like outsiders.”
   2)      “Small towns that are old and pretty much set in their way not much will change them.”
   3)      “I think it’s really cool if you actually take the time to go outside of campus and do some exploring. You’ll end up find so cool stuff to do.”
Living in Athens have you become more excepting of the local Appalachian culture?
   1)      “Yea and especially the way that they value that hard working spirit.”
   2)      “It took me awhile at first it was like being in a different world but after being here 3 years I would say yes.”
3)      “I’ve always been a very open person so for me it was kind of like learning something new and interesting.”


     It’s pretty clear to see that even though you live in the same city you still might see people in different ways.  Everyone has their own view points and these questions really showed them.  All of these students that I interviewed are juniors and have spent three years in Athens.  They still do not fully understand what it means to be Appalachian or even really understand the culture. Students really need to take the time and learn more about the heritage of where they are going to spend the next 4 years of their life. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    My name is Shea, and I am commenting as a token Appalachian person. I really love your conclusion--that everyone sees others in different ways. Such a truth.

    I would also like to address two of your interviewees' answers:

    “A lot of really tiny very close nit communities that really don’t like outsiders.”

    People in Appalachia sometimes distrust outsiders because, as one might see if they choose to study Appalachia further, people and areas outside the region have used the people and the region, repetitively, for hundreds of years. The region has been a scapegoat in many ways, and folks don't usually like those who they expect to hurt them. That being said, the majority of Appalachian people I know are not xenophobic and have eclectic peer groups and communities.

    “Small towns that are old and pretty much set in their way not much will change them.”

    This stigma always humors me. Appalachia has been at the center of American history. It is a progressive area (google things like Blair Mountain, Sid Hatfield, or Jeff Biggers). To bring this stigma closer to home, another counter-example might be the Appalachian Student Union: many meetings you will find half or more of our members are not white. We are Safe Zone trained and there is a rainbow flag on our posters--this means we are LGBT friendly. We are one of the more progressive groups on campus if you speak with our members. And our members are indicative of their families and communities.

    Again, I really appreciate your perspective. Please feel free to contact me, shea.e.daniels@gmail.com, or the Appalachian Student Union, APSU@ohio.edu, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

    Peace,

    Shea

    ReplyDelete