Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Appalachia- A Place We Can All Call Home



 As I drove to Ohio University from Cincinnati for the first time, I remember thinking how beautiful the drive was. My eyes were glued to the passing mountains, trees, and open skies. I made numerous observations of the signs saying “Appalachian Highway” and, at the time, it didn’t mean anything to me. Attending Ohio University has really opened my eyes to more than just a suburb in a city. Ohio University is located in the heart of the Appalachian region, stretching from areas in New York to southern states like Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. Many students that attend Ohio University know little to nothing about the surrounding area, because few are actually from Athens. For this blog entry, I decided to interview three very opposite people to see how different they viewed the same place.  The first interviewee is a freshman male, who lives near Columbus Ohio. The second is a freshman female, who lives in Maryland. The third is an upperclassman female, who lives in Indiana. Here are their responses:


“In what ways does Appalachian culture influence life at OU?
Ø  “There is not much culture left, because it’s become such a depressed area. I don’t think the culture outside of Ohio University effects the college much, I think that the school effects Athens.”
Ø  “There are a lot of locally owned places in Athens. Students love it. There are some chain restaurants, too.”
Ø   “Athens is a very hippie town. There are a lot of really chill, different people. The environment here is so different than anywhere else. That’s why I think the students either love it or hate it here.”



“What is the value of becoming more aware of Appalachian culture?”
Ø  “I think it’s important for college students to understand “outsiders” opinions, in order to have a more broad view on things.”
Ø  “I think it’s important to know the area you’re living in. Honestly though, there isn’t much in Athens or around this area to really talk about, or know.”
Ø  “Where you live says a lot about who you are. As anyone should, they should know the place they’re living really well because it’s where they call home.”
“How do you interpret Appalachia?”
Ø  “Lower class, white, unemployed, Nascar loving, not as educated, The Hills Have Eyes people.”
Ø  “I never really thought about that. Being from out of state, I think it’s a lot of country folk, flannels, hard-working, labor extensive jobs.”
 Ø  From everyone that I’ve met, they’re really chill, down to earth people. Everyone seems to know everyone around here. At times, I’m a little sketched out by the people at Walmart or something, but I think that’s anywhere.”

“Do you consider yourself Appalachian?”
 Ø  “I live in Southern, Ohio. I am white. I live out in the country too.”
 Ø  “Definitely not. I’m from the city.”
 Ø  “I’m not really from around here so geographically speaking, no. However, I live here now. I’m a junior, so I’ve been here three years and I feel like I fit in here.”

“How can the university encourage more communication with the people of Athens?”
Ø  “Have more student-run activities that are community oriented.”
Ø  “I think the university offers a lot for Athens and the surrounding areas. Jobs, places to eat, things like that.”
Ø  “The university can only do so much to encourage interaction between students and townspeople. I think it comes down to the individual on whether or not they would like to.” 

As you can see, there are so many interpretations of Appalachia. However, whether we like it or not, this is our home. We are Ohio University, we are Appalachia.



1 comment:

  1. Maggie—

    Thank you for this interesting set of interviews. As an Appalachian woman, many of the comments really disturbed me, and I’d like to comment on them.

    There is not much culture left, because it’s become such a depressed area. I don’t think the culture outside of Ohio University effects the college much, I think that the school effects Athens.”

    Economics and culture are somewhat intertwined, but they are not mutually exclusive. This statement actually made Appalachian people cry. Multiple Appalachian people. Because it embodies the negative stigma, and misunderstandings, this region struggles against every day. No people are all one set of characteristics, but some overarching qualities I have seen in Appalachian folk and the community they are creating include honesty, a solid work ethic, a commitment to education, a strong sense of community, a developed arts tradition, commitment to sustainability, a developed local foods scene, and more. Besides, you know, housing the university, and being the majority of the staff and some of the faculty, and 36% of the student population, there is a cultural experience happening, just as if this university were located in México.

    “I think it’s important to know the area you’re living in. Honestly though, there isn’t much in Athens or around this area to really talk about, or know.”

    The list of things I encourage this person to google include the Millfield Mine Disaster, Shawnee Union Uprisings, Athens Slow Food Scene, UCM: Center for Spitirual Growth and Social Justice, ACENET, and HAPCAP. All of these things are unique to Athens, and the last four are the best of their kind, or ranked in the top of the list of the best of their kind, in the whole US.

    “Lower class, white, unemployed, Nascar loving, not as educated, The Hills Have Eyes people.”

    I have friends from Appalachia who are wealthy, employed, black, latino, with varying levels of college education (yes, even PhDs, sometime multiple ones!) This is stigma, and frankly, it is unfounded.

    “I live in Southern, Ohio. I am white. I live out in the country too.”

    See the above comment; also, this is just plain offensive.

    Thank you again for interviewing these folks, and helping myself and my peers understand student views of Appalachia better. We appreciate your work.

    Peace,

    Shea
    Shea.e.daniels@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete