Thursday, May 31, 2012

Buckeye Nissan as a Community Literacy


         Working at a local car dealership the last five years has taught me a lot about the real world and what it’s actually like to work for a living.  I have become very accustom to spending most of my day moving and washing cars.  A lot of people have been to car dealerships but not many can say that they were actually a part of one as a discourse learning community.
    
       One person that made becoming part of Buckeye Nissans discourse was a man by the name of Dale Evans.  He was the first person that I was introduced to and taught me everything about working for a successful car company.  Dale made working at the dealership a fun and exciting job I never knew what I was going to be doing that day some days a simple task other days I would be driving to Cincinnati to pick up a car.
           

What I loved was that I was treated like family there I was like the little brother.  Being that I was one of the youngest employees working there, everyone was willing to help me out whatever that might be.  One person in particular was Mike he taught me how to drive a stick shift car.  He took time out of his busy day to teach me something.  That’s when I knew that I had become a part of their discourse community, when they were willing to teach me things that would make me a better employee.
          

          I would have to say that throughout the years it is very important to become a member of as many discourse communities as you possibly can.  You will learn a lot about yourself and a little about those around you.  One of the best feelings that you’ll have is when you know that you’ve finally been accepted into your discourse community.

No comments:

Post a Comment